By: Jennipher Walters, co-founder of Fit Bottomed Girls
Not to get overly sappy, but living a healthy lifestyle has pretty much changed everything in my life. It’s brought me joy, amazing opportunities, experiences for personal growth and, yes, even some grossness and some pain. But, I wouldn’t change my healthy lifestyle for a thing! Why? Well, five reasons…
1. You just don’t know until you try. Living a healthy lifestyle has taught me to look fear in the eye and then carry on. Afraid of climbing that rope? No matter, go for it. Nervous to try CrossFit? Do it anyway! Unsure about that new healthy recipe? Make it! You really never know until you try, and you just might stumble onto something you absolutely love. After all, there’s no such thing as failure—it’s what you learn and how you grow that matters!
2. It really is about balance. Finding balance is kind of a cliche, but when I’m pushing myself hard enough but not too hard, and I’m getting the right mix of strength, cardio and flexibility training plus rest, everything is good in the world. Turns out, when the rest of my life is balanced—work, relationships, free time, etc.—I feel a lot better as well!
3. I can do one more—maybe even two more. Most of the time, it’s not our bodies that limit us from doing more during workouts, it’s our minds. Our minds tell us we’re tired or that we can’t do this or that. But by pushing myself time and time again, I know that when push comes to shove, I usually can do another rep or go just a little bit harder. It’s all about breaking our own self-imposed barriers!
4. The human body is crazy cool. If you stop and listen, your body will tell you exactly what it needs, be it a nap or a run or a piece of apple pie. Intuitive eating and working out has been paramount to my healthy lifestyle, and the lesson has bled over into the rest of my life, as I now use my intuition to help guide me on all my decisions from business to where to go on vacation to even what pair of shoes to wear!
5. There’s power in numbers. Sure, you can get healthy by yourself, but it’s way, way more fun with friends. I couldn’t imagine doing a marathon without my best friend nor could I run the Fit Bottomed Girls’ websites without all of the awesome readers who are here leaving comments every day. Simply stated, living a healthy lifestyle is better with buds. And so is life!
Yes, sometimes getting up early to work out stinks and my grocery bill is a bit more than I’d like it to be, but for me, those life lessons are priceless. And they’ve bled over into my career, my relationships and other areas of my life, making my entire life healthier. You can’t put a pricetag on that, can ya?! I think not.
If you’re a pet owner, this scenario is all-too-familiar: you are running out the door to go to the gym and look back to see a pair of huge, sad eyes looking back. How can you get a good workout in without excluding man’s best friend in the process? Try these fun pet-friendly exercises.
In this part two of our exploration of smartphone apps we’re taking a look at how apps can make our lives easier and promote a healthy, active lifestyle. Here are 5 apps to help jump start some healthy habits and motivate you day in and day out!
Have you ever felt so stressed or anxious at work that instead of accomplishing any task on your to-do list your productivity level dropped to an all-time low? We’ve all been there, days like that happen, but luckily there are ways to chill out and be more productive! Try one or two of these tricks and you’ll be on your way to a stress-free, more productive workday! :)
We all know that getting enough fiber in our diet is important for our bodies to stay happy and healthy. But sometimes if we eat too much fiber or not the right kind of fiber, we can do more harm to our bodies then we intend to. So how do we know how much is too much?
Sweating out the sickness. When is it ok to drop the tissue and hit the gym and how sick is too sick?