Our first healthy, hearty recipe is a breakfast, lunch or dinner favorite. Chicken fried steak. Now, I know most people don’t think you can get away from a good chicken fried steak for less than a million calories but check out this healthy recipe we found to keep it all under 300 calories!
- 4 lean cube steaks
- 1/2 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 1 cup flour (reserve 1 Tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon McCormick’s Montreal Brand steak seasoning
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups skim milk
1. Dip steaks in buttermilk. Combine flour, salt, and steak seasoning (remember to keep 1 tablespoon set aside). Dip steaks in flour mixture.
2. Set steaks on wax paper, let set for 20 minutes.
3. Heat 1 tablespoons oil in skillet, add steaks, cook until both sides are golden brown. Remove from pan and keep warm.
4. Combine milk and reserved TBSP of flour in bowl until well mixed. Add extra seasoning for taste.
5. Stirring constantly, add milk mixture to skillet. Once added, bring mixture to a boil.
6. Lower heat and simmer until gravy thickens. Continue to stir.
7. Serve over steaks.
Serving Size: 1 (162 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Total Fat: 7.4 g
Total Carbohydrate: 30.6 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.8 g
Protein: 8.1 g